Re: Light Sensitive GM Tube

>my understanding of UV suggests that UV will cause ionizations but only if
>it is extremely energetic UV - most of the UV penetrating the atomosphere is
>closer to 300-400 nm and this most likely not of sufficient energy to result
>in ionizations.

If you look up "photoelectric effect" in most standard physics texts you
will find that the "work function" (phi) for most metals is about 3 eV,
i.e. some metals will emit photoelectrons even with visible light.  Organic
molecules and non-metals have higher ionization potentials.

"Shlala gashle" (Zulu greeting, meaning "Stay safe")
mike (mcnaught@LANL.GOV)