From: radsafe
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Dosimetry Billing Discrepancies
Date: Friday, August 16, 1996 3:03PM

Hello Radsafers:

I've been holding back on this post for some time now, hoping that I could
work out the billing discrepancies I've had with my (for now unnamed)
dosimetry services provider.  But they did it again!  Here's the problem:

When I receive an invoice for quarterly dosimeters, there is always a
significant charge for "Unreturned Dosimeters" from two quarters in the past
(e.g., they are now charging me for unreturned dosimeters issued for the
Jan-Mar '96 quarter).  To see if these charges are accurate, I look into my
database of dosimeters issued for that quarter.  The database tells me that
there were only four unreturned dosimeters (versus the twelve the provider
is charging me for).  The database also tells me the date on which I sent
all of the dosimeters to the provider (this is important because they charge
for dosimeters not returned after sixty days).  In this case the dosimeters
were sent in after forty days (yes, sometimes it takes University types that
long to turn in their dosimeters - even after prompting them with memos).  I
can also quickly compare the dosimetry database with the electronic dose
report that I receive from the vendor.  The dose report in this case has
four less records than the database for that quarter.  For icing on the cake
I have lost dosimeter reports that the folks who actually lost dosimeters
have to fill out (potential dose investigation - NRC stuff ya know).

So now I call the provider, and ask them for the badge/participant numbers
to compare against the database.  I'm told that information isn't available.
I've argued that if that is the case, then they have no grounds on which to
charge me for those badges.  I've won this argument twice (since I first
started pursuing the issue), but I'm getting awfully fed up with the
situation recurring every quarter.  Some might argue that 1-2% of your
quarterly dosimetry cost is not that big of a deal, but I have to be
accountable. . .

Have any of you guys/gals responsible for dosimetry (distribution) at your
respective institutions come across this kind of problem?

I don't want to start making accusations, but I do want to get to the bottom
of things.

Your input is sincerely appreciated!!!

 -Erick Lindstrom

 Erick Lindstrom