Text Books for Jr. and Hi. School Teachers and Libraries

     Maymie Chenoweth asked for suggestions on texts for Jr High and
     High School teachers and libraries.  In addition to the standards
     by Cember, Turner,..., here are a few more obscure books that you
     might consider.  I've found them all very useful in the
     development of presentations for the public as well as students.
     For a high school class, any of these would have sufficient
     material for plenty of lecture time.

     Radiation and Radioactivity, on Earth and Beyond; Draganic,
     Draganic and Adloff, CRC Press, 1990.  A really unique view of
     radioactivity on a cosmic scale.  I have a paperback, but I'd bet
     CRC Press sells hardbacks as well.

     Radioactivity in the Environment:..., Ron Kathren, Harwood, 1984.
     As you probably know, an excellent review.  Bug Ron for a
     revision post-Chernobyl.

     Understanding Radioactive Waste; Raymond Murray, Battelle Press,
     1994.  Covers a lot of radiation science before focusing on
     radwaste.  Has a lot of info on radioisotope use that is often
     hard to find in more common texts.  I have paperback, but I've
     seen hardbacks.

     Lastly, if you can get your hands on a copy, Los Alamos Science,
     Number 23, 1995 has some of the best graphics I've seen and has
     over 100 pages of basic radiation science before it delves into
     the hot issue of "radiation experiments."  Although you probably
     can't get enough for students, this is an excellent reference,
     especially regarding molecular and cellular radiation biology.
     Up to date discussion of radiation risk - hard to find anywhere.

     Eric Goldin
     Southern California Edison
     goldinem@songs.sce.com