FWD: OEM reply to post previously forwarded

Since Dr. de Silva's 2nd post in this thread was recently forwarded, I decided
to let the RadSafers see what his original post was.  At least in the 2nd post
Dr. de Silva suggested that a health physicist be consulted.

>From: CJMARTIN@PHS.Med.UAlberta.CA
>Subject: OEM: Carcinoid tumour of thymus and radioisotope exposure

>Date: Thu, 05 Sep 96 14:10:30 -0700
>From: "Shirin R. de Silva, MD, MPH" <sdesilva@aeha1.apgea.army.mil>
>To: occ-env-med-L@list.mc.duke.edu

>(1)  With respect to the cluster, remember that cancers are common - one
>out of every four U.S. residents develop some form of cancer during their
>lifetimes - and that the different cancers are different diseases.
>However, if you have three or more uncommon cancers of a specific
>type, and if that type is known to be associated with radiation exposure,
>then the population should get worked up.  Your Department of Labor
>may take care of this.  In particular, the folks with thyroid
>abnormalities should get checked out, given the use of radioactive iodine
>in this population.

>(2)  Does the worker has any other risk factors?

>(3)  In addition to looking through the literature, I would call the
>manufacturer of the radioactive isotopes used in the injection process,
>describe the situation to their safety personnel, and ask for safety data
>on this product.  They should have information on the inhalation hazard
>of the isotopes under standard conditions of use.

>(4)  The manufacturer is unlikely to have information on ingestion
>hazards, as that would not be a standard condition.  However you can
>guestimate the ingestion hazard of each of the isotopes used as follows:

>Hazard Equation:

>Annual Isotope Specific
>Ingestion Hazard          =   M    x   250 days/year  x     R    x     F

>where

>M represents the amount of dust consumed daily by the workers.  If the
>employer has no data on this point, and if Canada has no specific
>numbers, I would use 100 mg, which  is U.S. EPA's default value for daily
>adult dust ingestion, and assume that 100% of dust consumption occurs at
>the worksite.  If the radioactive contamination is limited to work sites,
>and the interior of the vehicles are not contaminated, according to the
>sampling information which you gather, then I would modify this figure by
>multiplying it by the number of minutes spent in a contaminated
>environment, / divided by the number of minutes in the workday.  That is,
>M = 100 mg   x  (minutes spent in contaminated area per day/ (60 minutes
>per hour x number of hours exposed per day))  The default for "number of
>hours exposed per day" is 8 hours, but you would have to modify this if
>there is take home exposure, or the worker works different hours.

>250 days/year is U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration's
>default value for annual working days.  If the workers work more or less
>days each year, or if you suspect take-home contamination you would need
>to modify this figure.

>R represents the geometric mean radiation level of the dust in the
> [...]

Louis H. Iselin, Ph.D.           * Go Gators! *                   <*>
Assistant Professor of Physics (Health Physics Program)
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania
Bloomsburg PA  17815-1399                          liselin@bloomu.edu