Old burial sites and decommissioning

Here's one for Friday the 13th:

How many of you out there have an old radioactive waste burial site which
was approved under the old 10 CFR 20? How many of you recently received NRC
Information Notice 96-47 regarding Decommissioning notification for land
burial sites? How many of you were wondering whether this notice applies to
you?

Well, it does.

We have an old burial site which was used between 1959 and 1985. I received
a friendly heads-up from Region IV yesterday clarifying this and reminding
me the deadline for notifying the NRC is October 15, 1996 (two years after
the publication of the "Timeliness Rule" 59 FR 36026). The deadline for
requesting an extension is September 15, 1996. The NRC was supposed to
provide (by September 15) methodology for evaluating old burial sites. If
your site passes screening criteria based on the activities buried and
potential for that activity to produce a significant dose to the public, you
may not have to do any more. The Region IV representative suggested that the
fact that the NRC has not yet provided this methodology might be a good
enough reason for requesting an extension, which I elected to do.

If you have and old rad burial site and haven't notified the NRC, I strongly
recommend you get hold of IN 96-47, read it, contact your region office and
fax them a letter today.

Good Luck

Jim Herrold
Radiation Safety Officer