Technical Basis Documents

Supervisor, Radiation Dosimetry & Records
User ID-RUH; Mail Stop-4147;  Ext. 6-1973
To Bruce Hokel's comments, I only wish to add a "Yea, Verily!!!!!".

*** Reply to note of 09/17/96 18:43
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Technical Basis Documents
Addressed to:
lavelyp@uclink2.berkeley.edu (rob gong)

In reference to:
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 1996 12:11:22 -0500
From: lavelyp@uclink2.berkeley.edu (rob gong)
Subject: Re: Technical Basis Documents
Sender: radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>

I am the RSO at UC Berkeley and have over 20 years of experience in rad
safety, licensing, and I hold several degrees.  I think that I can help
your "collegue." However, I am becoming more adverse to people using
RADSAFE as a way of getting free consulting.  Tell him to get a budget and
call me for a consulting contract or stop wasting the time of those of us
who are using RADSAFE as professionals to get and give information on a
quid pro quo basis.

The above are my professional and personal comments and are not those of my
employer; however,I am sure that my employer would not expect me to use my
time to support such an effort.

Paul

>I'm posting this for a colleague who isn't subscribed to Radsafe.
>He has been tasked with documenting the technical basis for
>the methods used to perform radiological surveys (radiation,
>contamination, air, etc.).  From what I can tell, ORNL does rad business
>pretty much the same as the rest of the HP world.  So
>instead of re-inventing the wheel, he would like the benefit
>of Radsafe's collective expertize, and is requesting that those
>who've authored, or have access to various documents that describe
>the technical basis for why HPs do things the way they do, to contact
>him at the address below.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Marvin Hoffman
>Oak Ridge National Laboratory
>Email- HF9@ornl.gov
>phone- (423) 574-7117

University of California at Berkeley
Office of Radiation Safety
University Hall, Rm 359

(510) 643-8414 (Office Number)
(510) 643-9495 FAX

I have the following comments:

There's nothing quite so nauseating as puffed up pride and a bloated ego.
It appears that in acquiring all of your 20 years of experience and "several
degrees" that you neglected to pick up any wisdom.

Whatever happened to the days when the spirit of comradeship in this country
compelled neighbors to help each other build their barns - without
expectation of monetary return from one another.  I'm sure that some of
those neighbors were able to swing a hammer much better than others too.

I'm sorry, I am not the least impressed with your bragged about "vast and
valuable" knowledge base.  You appear to be just another pseudo-scientist
who watched just a little too much mister wizard and dreamed of growing up
to be this super-intelligent being but failed, and now you are stuck in one
of the government's financially unrewarding jobs and prey on people who you
think you can lambaste with your "expertise".

If you were a true professional, you would not hesitate to offer assistance
to a fellow professional - and not expect to be reimbursed for the effort.
Go look that up in your quid pro quo dictionary!  I bet your a terrible
neighbor too.

I have had a great deal of time and experience in the health physics field
as well, but do not claim to be the ultimate expert in any area and will do
my best to help others when I can.  This list server is supposed to be used
to ask honest questions - no matter what the level of detail or subject -
and we all should expect to receive answers from fellow hp's who truly care
about helping others without fear of being ridiculed and embarrassed.  If
we've lost that, we've lost it all.

 Bruce W. Hokel
  121 Spedding Hall
   Ames Laboratory/ISU