From: Peter Fundarek
To: jeanfran; Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Monitoring for Controlled Release
Date:  September 23, 1996 17:17

We are currently investigating setting up a system for the controlled
release
of
radioactive material following decay in storage.  At this time, we are
looking
at holding liquid P-32 labelled material for a time and then allowing it to
be
disposed in the regular sanitary landfill.  However, we would like to check
jars
of this liquid prior to release to ensure that the levels are below the
prescribed limits, namely approximately 10 uCi per kilogram.  The jars
contain
the liquid mixed with diatomaceous earth (DE) for stability.  We need the DE
due
to the amount of transport and handling at our facility.  We anticipate
having
to check about 100 bottles per month or more so we need something that can
handle the volume.

I would be interested in any suggestions or techniques that are currently
being
used by the radsafe community for this procedure.  Any other information or
suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Peter J. Fundarek
University of Toronto