Re: Linear Hypothesis IS the Cause of Public Fear of Radiation

John Moulder wrote:

> > >The LNTH IS the cause of the public fear, or, rather, the corruption
> > >of the LNTH idea is the cause.  The LNTH says: "there MAY BE some
> > harmful effect of low doses.".....
>
> It can't be that simple.

Oh, but it is that simple.  All, and I mean ALL of the people in the
general public with whom I have had discussions about their fear of
radiation (and there have been hundreds) have said in one way or
another: "Any radiation exposure, no matter how small, WILL hurt me.
Therefore I don't want any at all."  Some of those people will not have
x-rays any more.  They tell me that they are willing to pay more for
electricity from solar sources so we could get rid of nuclear power
plants.  All of my experience has been that the public believes that any
radiation exposure is bad.  They all want zero.  The LNTH and its
corruption have had that result.

What other reason could there be for that basic fear of low doses?

What I can't understand is why there is any person who knows the data
about low level radiation effects, who isn't working hard to change
whatever it is that is wrong and get the nuclear industry viable again
in the United States.  Suppose we got rid of the LNTH and established a
safe threshold for low doses and said, "This dose is safe until we have
enough valid, acceptable data to damonstrate that it is not safe."  Then
the public would say, "OK, if the doses are below that level, we're
safe."  What's wrong with doing that so we can have clean, safe nuclear
power and all the other benefits of the nuclear industry??  What is
another solution to that problem, if it is not to get rid of the LNTH?
Let's be creative - propose another solution.  After all, that's what we
all want, isn't it?  Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov