Re: ALARA Cost/Benefit -Reply

Franz,

I have dealt with this issue several times at power plants here in the
states.  The typical approach is to calculate the cost of a person-rem
based on the replacement cost of highly trained personnel (like Control
Room Operators) versus the allowed dose limit.  The reasoning is that
salary/dose limit equal the dollar amount per person-rem required to
replace otherwise employable personnel because they have reached
their dose limit.  With our success in the past ten years in reducing
occupational exposures, this reasoning doesn't have the practical basis
it once had.  I was once at a plant where an oversight committee was
pushing the Rad. Pro. Group to up it's $/p-rem number based on the
increased risk estimates in the new BEIR Report.  I'd try to stay away
from linking it to risk.  Typical values at U.S. Power Plants range from
$6,000 to $14,000.   Good luck H.F.