Re: ALARA Cost/Benefit -Reply

The $1000/rem value is old and needs to be escalated for inflation.  I
believe it originally appeared in 10CFR50 appendix I back in the early
1970's.  The original DOE ALARA guide published in 1980 used $2000, but
subsequent publications have indicated that the value of a unit dose (ie
rem) is not constant.  It may be that you will spend many times $1000 to
reduce the dose by 1 rem if you can avoid being at the top of Nader's list
of bad reactors, simply because of the PR value of doing so.