Re: Linear Hypothesis IS the Cause of P

Surely ICRP 21 said (paraphrase)
	As Low As Reasonably Possible,
	taking Social and Economic factors
	into account.
A 'No Expense Spared' attitude is unjustifiable.
Remember the Swedes and Chernobyl Lap reindeer,
they had fallout levels very much higher than normal
and the proposal was to 'eliminate' the lot, until it was
realised that reindeer meat was only on sale for a very
short season, the price prevented anyone from consuming
the relevant ICRP 50(?) kilograms in a year, and consequently
the exposure was down at what was radiologically sensible.
Reindeer were left to get on with it, Laps continued to eat
their only readily available protein resource and the government
were reasonably contented with the approach adopted.
	Isn't that attitude preferable?
	If no-one is likely to exceed - say - 100 microsV
from a site/procedure/process  AND you cannot detect that
level against normal background, there would be no justification
in proceeding further?
	I would be interested to hear whether a 'political'
viewpoint would over-ride common radiological sense for
your problems - I am not certain how your legislation might
affect such a suggestion.

	Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
		Roger Gelder
		Oxford, Uk