Re: RadWorker Training

>I concur with the decision you folks made.  We are a public utility
>(power reactors).  A few years ago, it was permissible for us to
>provide oral exams to personnel who couldn't read (not an identical,
>but similar issue).  We challenged this internally, for the same
>reasons you stated.  It is now our policy to not badge personnel for
>RCA access if they cannot read and understand postings, RWPs, ALARA
>documents, etc.  We have not been challenged to date.

I'd like to add to this. I went thru this about 15 years ago with the
utility I worked for at the time. The first issue was reading the Rad Worker
test to those who could not read it themselves. The logic behind
discontinuing that practice was the one stated above: workers are expected
to read and comply with the postings, read and comply with work permit
requirements, and read and comply with site procedures. Allowing onsite
someone who has demonstrated the inability to read is contrary to good
radiation safety.

A second issue came up years later - custom eyeglass inserts for a
respirator for those with presecription glasses (in the days before contacts
were allowed.) This issue was getting in the way of getting contractors in
and out of the plant for critical path work during refueling outages. The
medical office was asking each person during in-processing if he/she used
prescription glasses. If the person answered yes, then presciption inserts
were required to go thru the mask fit test. Without them, no test, no entry
into areas where a respirator might be required. And the inserts had to be
made to fit the specific brand/model respirator to be used.

The solution was simple: Health Physics has in interest in whether the
person's vision is adequate - he/she must be able to read the posting signs,
read work permits and procedures while wearing the respirator, and read
his/her pocket chamber. So we made these part of the mask fit test. Signs
were placed on the wall of the HP office where testing was done at a
distance of about 20 feet from the test location. Each person tested had to
read the signs picked at random by the technician. We used the OSHA "rainbow
passage" text as part of the fit test, so it was typed in the size type
normally found in procedures and work permits. Then the worker had to tell
the technician the reading on partially charged pocket chamber. This allowed
HP to conduct the test regardless of whether the medical group said
prescription lenses are necessary. Philosphy: if the worker can demonstrate
the ability to read, that's all we need to know about his/her eyesight.
(BTW, passing an eye test in the medical office IS NOT evidence that the
person can read well enough to follow a work permit.)

Bob Flood
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(415) 926-3793     bflood@slac.stanford.edu
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.