Risk-based reasoning in public policy

We need to do more than look at the issues.

The process of discerning the truth requires that the varying points of
view be objectively reviewed and assimilated into a cohesive framework
that separates fact from fantasy, and where fact can not be determined
the objectivity has to be broadened to put the risks into perspective.

That perspective has to be well-reasoned and acceptable to the diverse
groups that will undoubtedly review the resulting policies with a demeanor
that will not necessarily be based on the merits of the effort.

There has to be a starting point that will evidence a common desire to
reach a well-reasoned public policy.  Determining what that is will likely
necessitate the involvement of the extreme viewpoints.  Involving those
viewpoints will be easier if we start with the assumption that they want
to find well-reasoned public policy.  It will be much more difficult to
achieve the common deisre if we start with the assumption that those who
hold different points of view are unreasonable and possessed of foul intent.

Soap-box diatribe of the day... No Disclaimers intended or implied.

Bill Pitchford