Subject: MERRY WIDOW HEALTH MINE
From:    radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at smtpgate
Date:    1/16/97  6:13 AM

Hello Radsafers,

I was watching the CNN programme 'Earth matters' earlier today and
they had an interesting insert about a mine in Boulder Montana (?)
called the "Merry Widow Health Mine" where people apparently go to
expose themselves to the beneficial effects of radon.  People pay to
spend several 3 hour sessions in the mine in the belief that the
radon will cure them of various ailments including arthritis.  The
programme featured various health authorities stressing the
dangers associated with radon since it has been linked to lung
cancer, but the patients were undeterred, with one woman stating her
belief that this must be a different kind of "good" radon.

I would like to use this as an example of people's confused ideas about
radiation next time I address a lay audience, but I need more info.
If anybody knows where I can obtain it will you please let me know at
the e-mail address below?

Thanks and regards.
Gina Lamparelli
Chief Physicist Generation Nuclear Assurance
Eskom South Africa
A59114@generation.eskom.co.za
Tel: +27-11-800-5162
Fax: +27-11-800-5792