Deterministic Effects Threshold Doses

     The most convenient compilation I have found of threshold doses for
     deterministic effects is in ICRP Publication 41, "Nonstochastic
     Effects of Ionizing Radiation.  Table 5 (on page 25) which is taken
     from a 1972 publication by Rubin and Casarett.

     That table shows the lowest dose threshold for effect in only 1-5% of
     patients as fetal death (2 Gy) and bone marrow hypoplasia (2 Gy).
     Increasing the frequency to 25-50% of the patients raises the
     threshold dose to 4.5 and 5.5 Sv, respectively.

     I haven't heard of 50 mSv as a deterministic effects threshold dose
     for any specific effect.  I have heard that cytogenetic studies have
     be capable of detecting doses on the order of 150-250 mSv, but the
     confidence at those levels has been low.  I am not sure I would
     consider chromosome abberations a deterministic effect - by the basic
     definition of the effect, I would think it falls in the stochastic
     category.

     Gene Carbaugh
     Internal Dosimetry
     Pacific Northwest National Laboratoy