Radsafe purpose & intimidation

I want to make this very clear that I am writing this, and am speaking
entirely on my own, as a member of Radsafe,  NOT as an employee of
ICN. This posting has to do with the essence of what Radsafe is all
about. It has always been my impression that Radsafe was a forum, a
place for professionals interested or involved in health physics,
radiation protection or other nuclear related specialties, to come and
share ideas, opinions and a place to ask for help and to provide help
when possible. The important point here is that "we" provide what we
are thinking. Being a member of Radsafe doesn't mean that we have to
echo someone else's thoughts or opinions. I had been recently posting
news topics that I had found that were related to the nuclear
community. I posted them as a service. An individual requested that I
could perhaps just reference the URL where the articles could be
found. I replied that many are not found in the WWW, therefore no URL
is possible, and that I would summarize where possible. My decision,
as noted today, was to create a news interest distribution list, and
keep the postings off of Radsafe. I did, and currently have around 100
Radsafe members on the list. Unfortunately 2 of my posts to the
individuals went to radsafe, and not solely to the individual. I
wasn't aware of that, and apologize. However, what is more disturbing
are a few of the excerpts of a letter I received today. The individual
who wrote it will remain anonymous. The points made in the letter are
a form of intimidation. My first reaction was to just cancel Radsafe
all together. But that would be caving into what someone else wants
Radsafe to be, and what they want to see posted. So, I will not be
intimidated. When I quit Radsafe, it will be on my own terms, not
someone else's. The following are two of the pertinent quotes. Again,
don't ask who wrote the letter, for I will never divulge that.

> It is you might want to have a day or two occasionally where Sandy Perle
doesn't show up on the net 3 or 4 or more times.<

If  my memory is correct, the few postings per day have been the
articles I posted. I still consider those articles a service to the
Radsafe community, for they echo the perceptions of the press, and
what the public is ultimately exposed to. Perceptions then become
reality. As  Al pointed out today, consider the article in UPI
regarding the supposed rad worker who fell into the spent fuel pool
pit. In fact, that wasn't the case at all. I believe that my posting
the article to "my" distribution list enabled a knowledgeable nuclear
worker to take the UPI to task, which is exactly what Al did. And if I
want to post 3 or 4 or 10 times a day, THAT is my prerogative. You
don't like my posts .. hit the "delete" key.

> I think you will be projecting a much better image for your self and
your new company by being a little less vocal/visible here on the net
at times. I must tell you that the managers in my company were not
overly impressed by your many messages here and it had a part in the
decision to switch our Personnel Monitoring service. <

Here I am being told that my image is tarnished. That surprises me.
Maybe I should share the e-mail I receive from those Radsafers I
communicate with, via e-mail, phone and in person. I am being told to
be less vocal. I am being told that my comments reflect their opinion
of ICN. Well, as I wrote this individual, if they are interested in
quality, TQM, accuracy and precision, they will use ICN. If they are
more concerned with Sandy Perle's comments and opinions, and don't
agree with them. Then take their business elsewhere (this is MY
opinion, not ICN) .. and to be perfectly clear, I have never cleared
any comment I make with ICN management, nor have I ever been asked to.
I am a professional and am treated as such. The individual who wrote
this letter to me would rather have me as a puppet, echoing what they
want to hear, and, how often. Those who know me ,, know that will
NEVER happen. If the following company took their business from us and
went elsewhere, that is unfortunate. But that is not my concern. I
work hard, very hard. I've worked hard for the past 26 years to get
where I am, and to earn the respect of my peers. I will not be
intimidated by anyone on Radsafe, or anywhere else in my life.

Radsafe is a public forum. If we can't exchange ideas, opinions,
philosophies .. then Radsafe is a failure.

I've vented .. if anyone is offended by this posting, then I
apologize. However, the underlying feelings within some of our members
is just too disturbing and too pathetic. I could not let these
comments I received today go by without saying something.

Sandy Perle
(private citizen - Radsafe community)