Re: Containers for Type A

It's taken me a while to dig through the email backlog to get to this one -
and I do not believe I've seen
anyone else address it.

1.      The difference in testing requirements between IP-3 and Type-A
struck me as so minor that many
people would simply choose to do the full Type-A

2.      The TYPe-A testing must be done on the proposed packaging with
something that approximates its
proposed contents. I.e., you can get anything certified as Type-A, if it
passes all the tests (The general
tests for all packages as well as the specific Type-A tests.)

3.      I have been told that DoE had someone do general Type A testing for
DOT-17 (M or H?) steel drums.  (Note: this is an essentially obsolete - but
still useful - construction standard; as compared to the new
performance based standards.)  The results of these tests (I've been told)
are contained in the "Mound
Report".  If I get a copy I'll try to make it available.

4.      You can submit your package design and simulated radioactive
contents to any qualified testing
laboratory to perform the Type-A tests, or you can do them yourself (keep
very good record of the tests!)
The tests for Type-A liquids include a 30 foot drop, which we did not feel
comfortable doing ourselves.
Some testing labs in PA which are IATA/ICAO certified are:

        Propack Inc.
        76 Jansen Av
        Essington, PA  19029
        Tel. 610-521-4050

        Professional Service Industries, Inc.
        Pittsburgh Testing Laboratory Division
        850 Poplar St.
        Pittsburgh, PA 15220
        Tel.  412-922-4000
              412-922-4014

These addresses are from the 1995 IATA Guide and the Zip's are reproduced
correctly.
The testing we had done cost us $500 per package design.

5.      You definitely do need to be a DoT certified Hazmat Shipper to ship
Type A quantities (and probably
to ship Excepted Packages too.)  Training for this should cost something in
the range of 500-1000.

Don Jordan
The University of Chicago
Office of Radiation Safety