Re: Firefighters and Training.

Group:

J. J. Rozental wrote, in part:

> Nevertheless this subject is really of fundamental importance,  I
> would like to draw the attention of RADSAFERS on the subject of
> training. Two weeks ago the necessity of training in radiology and
> others  medical correlated areas were discussed. Firefighter is one
> of most active organization dealing with nuclear or radiological
> accident, and the group suffering the worst consequences.

For another view of this topic see:
Handling Radiation Emergencies, Robert G.Purington and Wade Patterson,
National Fire Protection Association, NFPA No. SPP-4A, ISBN No.
0-87765-089-6, Library of Congress Card No. 76-54461, 1977. Six
chapters:
1. Fundamentals of Radiation Hazards
2. Sources of Information and Assistance
3. Users and Producers of Radioactive Materials and Radiation Producing
Machines
4. Pre-Emergency Planning
5. Procedures for Handling Radioactive Emergency Incidents
6. Training for Radiation Emergencies

This book was written for and has been used to train firefighters. I
have received favorable comments about the presentation and contents. I
believe it to be still valuable today.

Cordially,

Wade

<hwade@talltown.com>