Re: Dental X-rays

A number of years ago there was a program called DENT which explored and
made recommendations for dental x-ray procedures.  I believe the BRH was
administering the program.  Some people may have copies still on their
shelves which provides doese based upon specific procedures.  There were
several programs at the time NEXT, DENT and BENT being reviewed at the same
time.

As far as recommendations, the Army Medical program at one time performed
full mouth procedures on soldiers every 1 to 3 years.  There was an effort
to change the procedure to performing only once.  If there was a significant
change in the bit wing, then new x-rays would be justified.  The Army used
this method as a primary means to identify the dead.  Although there are
times when an absas can be found with such procedures.

Several of us who were trying to adjust the concepts of reducing exposures
encouraged to dentist to use other means to screen patients.  After these
other means (what ever they may be) were performed and more information was
needed, then order the x-rays.  Just because 5 years and even much longer
time periods have gone by, I see no reason to subject the patient to more
x-rays to update records.  There should be clinical reasons to subject the
patient to any procedure.

John Pickering
San Jose State University