Re: Self-Guarantee

Susan,
The financial test information is stated in 10CFR30, Appendix C for
companies that wish to use the self-guarantee method.  I think that
you will find that the commitment to reinvestigate and record the
financial test plus the 20 day reporting "trigger" if a the most
recent bond issue falls below class A to be cost prohibitive to
all but the largest corporations or institutions.

For a company wishing to go through the self-guaratee process,  the
NRC is very strict in its review of the financial submittals.  You
may find in the end that posting a bond is the most cost effective
and regulator friendly route for any but the very largest coporations.

There was some guidance given in the Federal Register some time ago
concerning self-guarantee.  Reg Guide 3.66 has no reference to self
guarantee in the June 1990 revision,  which I believe is the latest.

Vince Chase
Radiation Safety Officer
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals
The opinions expressed here are those of the author and do not represent
the opinions, policies or practices of Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals.