RE Biodegradable cocktales

RE Ms. Erikson's comments.  I generally agree in principal to what
she said except for not encouraging the use of "newer" cocktales.
They come in "nonhazardous", "biodegradable", and other ADVERTIZING
versions.  Kristen made the point that they have toxic chemicals in
them.  That's true.  All of the cocktales that I have heard of contain
aromatic hydrocarbons [containing one or more benzene ring structures]
which are generally not good for people.  But to the extent that the
vapor presure is lower, there is less of it in the air to breath.  They
reduce the fire hazard due to higher flash point.  I advise to look past
the advertizing claims.  The "hazardous" versions contain toluene or
xylene which of course are aomatic hydrocarbons which have relatively
high vapor presure and lower flash points.

Here we said we encourage the use of "nontoxic" cocktales, we do not
allow the use of those that are classed by EPA Clean Water Act as
"hazardous" meaning containing toluene or xylene.  We are neutral on
biodegradables but do not allow any disposal other than turn in.  We
ship to either Permafix or NSSI for incineration.

All my opinion and not to be construed as opinion or policy of
VA Denver, Dept. of Veterans Affairs, US Government or Starfleet
Academy.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center Denver, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov