Re: Potassium Iodide administration

I doubt that the routine use of KI would be acceptable in place of engineering
controls.  10 CFR 20.1701 states that, "The licensee shall use, to the extent
practical, process or other engineering controls (e.g., containment or
ventilation) to control the concentrations of radioactive material in air."
If you are failing to do this and are, instead, depending on KI to minimize
uptakes, you could be cited.  You must also consider potential allergies, as
well as the contamination of work areas and uptakes by those not directly
involved with the work.

As an aside, I once had a researcher who performed iodinations, who did not
have a thyroid - the perfect radioiodine worker!  Even then, engineering
controls and good work practices had to be maintained.

Here's to a risk free world, and other fantasies.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@detroitedison.com

Does anyone out there have any information on routine oral administration
of KI. I am considering the possibility of offering this option for
researchers performing iodinations  who would like to minimize their uptake
of radioiodine. Any ideas or info?

Rich Sobilo    RSO
Beckman Instruments, Inc.