Re: ALARA or Not?

At 02:23 PM 4/30/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Lester Slaback stated the following:
>
>> I would also make another observation: Even for persons who have been
>> medically  qualified the respiratory stress of using a respirator (or the
>> ergonomic stress of a supplied air system) would seem to be excessive
>> compared to the incremental risk of mrem level internal exposures.

In addition to Sandy's comments about the "cultural" change this regulation
brought for experienced HPs, there has also been the matter of assessing
the value of wearing a respirator to protect a wearer from small potential
internal exposures against the impact on non-radiological hazards such as
vision restrictions when climbing, heat stress (ever worn a respirator
inside containment right after shutdown?), etc. Unfortunately, we regulate
radiation separately in the US, so including these factors in the decision
is not allowed. Is this a great country or what?

Bob Flood
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
(415) 926-3793     bflood@slac.stanford.edu
Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.