Re: ALARA or Not? -Reply

B. Flood wrote:
<In addition to Sandy's comments about the "cultural" change this
<regulation brought for experienced HPs, there has also been the matter
<of assessing the value of wearing a respirator to protect a wearer from
<small potential internal exposures against the impact on non-radiological
<hazards such as vision restrictions when climbing, heat stress (ever
<worn a respirator inside containment right after shutdown?), etc.
<Unfortunately, we regulate radiation separately in the US, so including
<these factors in the decision is not allowed. Is this a great country or
<what?

Overall risk assessments are *not* allowed?   Please review the Health
Physics position papers.  I believe there are specific positions in regards
to this matter.   Unfortunately I do not have mine handy with me and
won't be back in the office for a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Lonny Eckert
LLE@NRC.GOV
-standard disclaimers-