Re: NARM Use/Storage at Universities

Ninni Jacobs asked:

> I would like to know what the policy is at your institution for Naturally
> Occurring Material? Specifically, uranium and thorium compounds,
> namely, uranyl acetate , thorium nitrate, etc.

Periodically, we send out an inventory notice to all faculty members and
facilities in the science departments, asking them to report to us
any uranium and thorium compounds they have on hand.

> 1.Does the Radiation Safety Office store these for their users when they
> dont need them anymore?

No, these materials are stored in the appropriate department's
radioactive waste storage area until a waste pickup is arranged.

> 2. Does the RSO write procedures for handling these chemicals?

No, we do not.

> 4. What is the most cost-effective way to dispose of these chemicals?

We wait until we have a sufficient amount of these materials to
justify a special waste pickup.  We then plan to go out for bids from our
regular waste disposal broker as well as a chemical waste broker who
has indicated that it can take uranium and thorium.

Regards,

Sue M. Dupre, Health Physicist

Office of Environmental Health and Safety
Chemical Sciences Building/Forrestal Campus
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ  08544-0710

E-mail: dupre@princeton.edu
Phone:  (609) 258-6252