Re: Russian Criticality accident

At 08:25 1997-06-25 -0500, you wrote:

>Boyd Rose has made the comment that the report of the accident contains
>some interesting statements. One further one is the reported dose of 600
>roentgens of neutron radiation. Such a statement must have come from a
>scientific source and it concerns me that such errors are being made. With
>the unfortunate death of the researcher within such a short time of
>exposure, it would be informative to have the correct units (rems or
>sieverts) of the dose he received.

There are some clues about the dose: The information that Zakharov lost
consciousness immediately after reporting the accident and the fact that he
survived only 3 days in hospital. If both (i.e. the first one) are correct
I assume that he must have received a dose of at least 50 Sv or thereabouts.

Bjorn Sandstrom
FOA NBC Defence
S-901 82 Umea
Sweden