Re: Russian Criticality accident

>Boyd Rose has made the comment that the report of the accident contains
>some interesting statements. One further one is the reported dose of 600
>roentgens of neutron radiation. Such a statement must have come from a
>scientific source and it concerns me that such errors are being made.
>With the unfortunate death of the researcher within such a short time of
>exposure, it would be informative to have the correct units (rems or
>sieverts) of the dose he received.
> * David J. Hornsey, Radiation Safety.*

The use of roentgen is just one indicator that this information is
suspect. It is also somewhat suprising that a 600 R? exposure led to such
an early death given our treatment knowledge these days.  But if the
R=rad, then the effective dose would be a rather large number, consistent
with this death.

But getting a good dose estimate will likely take some time.  All of the
above is just guesswork based on suspect facts.
Reconstruction of such events is a slow process.

--
the above are the personal musing of the author,
and do not represent any past, current, or future