Re: Russian Criticality accident

On Wed, 25 Jun 1997, D J Hornsey wrote:

> Boyd Rose has made the comment that the report of the accident contains
> some interesting statements. One further one is the reported dose of 600
> roentgens of neutron radiation. Such a statement must have come from a
> scientific source and it concerns me that such errors are being made. With
> the unfortunate death of the researcher within such a short time of
> exposure, it would be informative to have the correct units (rems or
> sieverts) of the dose he received.

 I had similar thoughts, but even sievert or rem is not the correct unit
for dose.  Was the 600 ?? absorbed dose, which should have been rad (or
more correctly, 6 Gy)?  If so and then converted to dose equivalent, then
that would help explain the short, 3 d survival time.
Les Fraley, retired
Radiological Health Sciences
Colorado State University
Ft Collins  CO  80523