Re: EMF and real estate values

> Friends of mine are interested in buying a vacation home for short
> stays throughout the year.  They've found a beautiful home on top of
> a mountain with spectacular views.  The only problem is a number
> of microwave relay antennas in the other direction, "right there."
> The price is much lower than other houses in the market.  They
> are concerned about possible health effects and asked for my advice.
> Any suggestions?

Good source for these sort of question is NCRP report #119

These sound like standard point-to-point radio relays.

These are very high gain antennas with a very narrow beam (typically 2.5
degrees or less)

Operating frequencies are in the 1-40 GHz range (usually 4-12 GHz).

Each antenna operates at any where up to 20 W.

Power-density:
 Off-axis near the towers the power density is a few microW/cm-sq.
 At the base of the towers the power density is in the nanoW/cm-sq range
 In the beam the power density can be as high as several milliW/cm-sq

Basically, you do not want to be in the beam, very close to the antenna.

John Moulder (jmoulder@its.mcw.edu)