Re[2]: Shredding Radioactive Waste

At San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station in Cal. we use a "SEM 22" shredder
which was basically designed to shred sensitive material for the govt. etc.
It is about 6 feet high and can shred a 5 gal poly bucket without a problem. It
also has shredded whole roles of tape, but at times gets gummy. We see about a 5
to 1 reduction in the waste we shredd. The blades, when new are sharp enough to
cut to the bone, just when touching them.

The company's name is

Security Engineered Machinery
5 Walkup Dr P.O. Box 1045
Westboro, Ma 01581
508-366-1488

Steve Eichenberger HP Supervisor at SONGs

On Thursday, August 7, 1997, David Durkee wrote:

> I am interested in hearing from radsafers who are using a shredder to reduce
> their radioactive waste volume.  I am particularily interested in the
> manufacturers of this type of equipment and in how well these units work.
>  Would you please respond to me directly at radcorllc@aol.com.

We would be interested in this information as well.  Please respond
directly to the address below.

Mary Beth Taormina
Assistant Director
Office of Environmental Health & Safety