Re: Disclosure of SSN

     Elaine and others:

     It seems to me that Section 7 of the Privacy Act is being misused by
     the employee since neither employment nor access to radiological areas
     requiring dosimetry is a "...right, benefit, or privelege provided by
     law..."

     If the employee doesn't want to comply with the facility's
     dosimetry/access control procedures, the facility may not have the
     justification to fire the employee, but certainly has the option to go
     to the next employee in line who WILL follow the procedures and use
     them instead.

     If I am wrong on this, I would appreciate any definitive and legally
     defensible interpretation or reference, since variations of this
     question come up quite regularly to anyone involved in dosimetry.

     Vincent King, CHP
     vincent.king@doegjpo.com

     I have an individual associated with my facility who has refused to =
     provide his SSN for dosimetry records citing the Privacy Act as his =
     reason -- "Section 7 of Pub L. 93-579 (a)(1) It shall be unlawful for
     any = Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any
     individual any = right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because
     of such individual's = refusal to disclose his social security
     number."  He also has stated that = by denying him dosimetry service,
     I am in violation of the law.

Elaine Marshall
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory
P.O. Box 500