Re: Eberline RO-2s

Hokey smokes, Tyler, what a graciously modest posting!

The RO2 is, in fact, an ion-chambered radiation survey meter, but of the Juno
(at least, I think that's what they were originally called, no doubt Paul
Frame, or someone of that ilk, will correct me, if necessary), rather than
QTPi, type. The chamber is internal to the meter box, instead of being an
extension of it; and there is a sliding, aluminum, beta window/buildup slab.

That's simply a great idea: to keep the instrument bagged in plastic, when
it's not in use. One would think that such a practice would greatly extend
the life of the desiccant, even if one had no humiditic troubles. (Note: the
desiccant packets in these sorts of meters can be a time-consuming hassle to
replace.) For sites at which the instruments are intensively used, though, it
may not be a feasible option.

This pitfall can be neatly side-stepped by using survey meters with
pressurized chambers (PIC's), e.g., the Victoreen 450P or Eberline PIC-6B(?),
where their relative lack of operational flexibility is not detrimental.
Incidentally, what's the history of the "JUNO" appellation? (Anyone?)

chris alston
ccja@aol.com