Re: Eberline RO-2s -Reply

Chris Alston wrote in part:

>The RO2 is, in fact, an ion-chambered radiation survey meter, but
>of the Juno (at least, I think that's what they were originally called,
> no doubt Paul Frame, or someone of that ilk, will correct me, if
>necessary), rather than QTPi, type.

And which ilk is that Chris? But I must object to this fanciful QTPi stuff.
The name cutie pie had nothing to do with charge or geometry.

>Incidentally, what's the history of the "JUNO" appellation? (Anyone?)

Juno was the wife of Jupiter whose Greek counterpart was Zeus. The
Zeus was the predecessor to the Juno. I suppose you could argue that
Jupiter or Hera would have been better choices for the name than Juno.
In any event, the Zeus was developed in the Chicago Met Lab ca 1943
by Frank Shonka. The Juno was developed at the instructions of Carl
Gamertsfelder at Hanford ca 1947. Incidently, Carl claims to be the only
individual present when the first three reactors (in Chicago, Oak Ridge,
and Hanford) went critical.

Best wishes

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs