Re: Disclosure of SSN

Bob's comments remind me of a situation a few years ago.  One
of our researchers went to Japan for a sabatical.  While there
he requested his exposure history, which we sent.  Later we
received a nasty note that he was not being allowed to work
until we sent his exposure history with the SSN that matched his.
The letter signed by him contained his "correct" SSN.  We checked
our records and found film badge request cards signed by him
that had two different SSN's, but not the one in his letter.

In another case, we received a request for an exposure history
for a woman that did not include her SSN.  We had a record for someone
by her name, and returned the information that no exposure had
been recorded.  The individual insisted that she had received
measurable exposure, and that our records must be wrong.  When
she supplied her SSN we were able to locate the correct record,
under her maiden name.

Whether it is SSN or some other unique (and consistent) identifier,
exposure histories can only be reliably recovered with the identifier.
If regulatory agencies require that the records be recoverable, then
it is up to the individual to supply the correct identifier.  If
the individual refuses, then the employer must decide whether or not to
allow them to work as a radiation worker.  However, since employers
are required to obtain the SSN for tax purposes, why should an
employee object to it being used by the employer to track other
employee specific information? (I know it happens. we've had it
happen here, but not often.)

I seem to remember an old NRC guidance that said something to
the effect "although an employee is not required to give their
SSN for identification, it is the employers responsibility to
supply it in dosimetry records".  Does anyone else remember
reading this from a long time back?

Dale