Scrap Metal Criteria

From: Paul E Ruhter@INEL on 09/04/97 05:05 PM

To:   radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
cc:   rcmgrs
Subject:  Scrap Metal Criteria

At Carey Johnston's suggestion, I visited the EPA's Scrap Metal Project web
site.  A brief review of the Cost Benefit Analysis was VERY interesting!!!!
The issue is whether to set criteria for contamination levels for scrap
metal being generated during the decommissioning of DOE facilities and
Commercial Power Reactors. They identify that their estimates are based on
very preliminary data and assumptions, which is understandable. They have
suggested 3 different dose criteria, the middle one is suggested to be
somewhat close to current practice.  The Cancer reduction values were
estimated over a 1,000 year modeling period.

The 0.1 mrem criteria would increase costs and reduce cancers at a "rate"
of $31M/cancer.  The 1 mrem criteria (similar to current practice, in EPA's
view) would also increase costs and reduce cancers, but not as much; the
"rate" was aabout $1.25 M/cancer. The 15 mrem criteria would SAVE money but
increase cancers, at a rate of $64 M/cancer.  The actual numbers are a
savings of $1.4-1.7 Billion with and increase of 19-29 cases of cancer over
the next 1,000 years. (I used the median value of the ranges given to do
the simple math.)

Is there any question?  If we were using 15 mrem and proposing to reduce
the level to 1 mrem, the hue and cry at spending about $1.5 Billion to save
about 24 cancers over 1,000 years would be deafening!!  The only question I
can think of is how much better would the situation be if the criteria were
set at 25 mrem as the NRC has proosed?  Or maybe 100 mrem?

The usual, intuitively obvious but regrettably needed, reminder that I
        alone am responsible for the contents of my messages!

        Paul E. Ruhter   CHP
        Supervisor, Radiation Dosimetry & Records
        Lockheed Martin Idaho Technologies Company
        Idaho National Engineering & Environmental Laboratory (INEEL)
        e-mail:   ruh@inel.gov