Pu-238 in space

Schoenhofer
Habichergasse 31/7
A-1160 Wien
AUSTRIA
Tel./Fax: +43-1-4955308
Mobiltel.: +43-664-3380333
e-mail: schoenho@via.at

I followed the "Cassini" discussion on Radsafe. For your information I want
to tell you that the "Cassini" mission is worth only a few sentences on
page 10+ in Austrian newspapers. Please note also that one newspaper stated
that 34 kg of "radioactive U-238" will be on board.....

I know about the use of Pu-238 in space probes. I remember that once one of
these batteries volatilized upon reentry into the atmosphere. This must
have been in the sixties. Does anyone know details about this event - for
instance mass of Pu-238 and date. It might be a striking argument against
the one used now, that hundreds, thousands or millions of people would die,
if the Cassini generator would burn up on reentry.

What happens, if plutonium is dispersed by chemical explosions should be
known from the safety tests performed at various locations in the world,
exploding nuclear bombs - both done deliberately (Marshall Islands,
Maralinga, Mururoa) and accidentally during air plane crashes (Palomares,
Thule etc.)

Franz