RE: Why nuclear is a "no-win" in the USA

Radsafers,

With interest, I've read all the "Nuclear No-Win" messages that have
been posted on Radsafe over the past couple weeks.  Lots of good
insights into the uphill battle we face with gaining the public's
support, countering misinformed radicals, etc.  Although there are a
number of very valid reasons for the problems we face as a profession,
I've always found it unfortunate that such a small percentage of the
public actually understands the science behind what we do.  Something
like 82% never have a high school physics class?

As a case in point, I'm passing along an amusing message I received
today.  Enjoy...

Karl W. Fischer
Radiation Safety Branch
National Institutes of Health

*********************************
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater
Idaho
Falls Science Fair on April 26. He was attempting to show how
conditioned
we have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading
fear
of everything in our environment.  In his project he urged people to
sign a
petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical
"dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since it can:

1. cause excessive sweating and vomiting
2. it is a major component in acid rain
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
4. accidental inhalation can kill you
5. it contributes to erosion
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical.  Forty-three
said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was
water.

The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?" He
feels
the conclusion is obvious.