Re: Export of RAM (Am-241, 10 nanocuries)

Tad Blanchard wrote:

> A researcher just called today and asked me if there would be any problems
> associated with the shipment of a 10 nanocurie Americium-241 source to
> Manitoba, Canada.

	10 CFR 110 details the requirements from the NRC perspective. Your
source would be "generally licenced" for export, but you still have to
meet the requirements in 10 CFR 110.

	For DOT, 49 CFR would apply. See 49 CFR 171.12a for additional Canadian
requirements. I would suggest Fedex for your carrier. They can assist
you in filling out their hazardous airbill.

	There may be some State Department requirements, but I am unsure of
what those are. The NRC can probably provide a POC at the State
Department.

	I am unfamiliar with the import requirements of Canada, maybe someone
else can help you out with that part.

Jim Williams
NARM@Worldnet.att.net