Re: Use of Portable Radiation Monitoring Equipment -Reply

>>> <Ccja@aol.com> 09/19/97 07:30pm >>>
>>I would think that a pocket chirper, or a similar personal alarming device,
>>would be sufficient,

In the commercial nuclear power world, there are similar requirements for
continuously indicating rate meters for workers entering hig radiation areas.
Note that most of these areas don't have the interlocks and area monitors
customary in irradiation facilities. However, many facilities are successfully
satisfying this requirement with the use of electronic dosimeters that have
rate/rate alarm capability in addition to their normal integration function.

As for the use of "chirpers", the devices that I have personal exerience with
all had GM uibe detectors and have been known to saturate in some situations. I
once had a fuel pool diver who brought his own personal RAD-TAD to put inside
his helmet. He said it was pretty annoying, but it kept him out of trouble most
of the time. He told me of a few times he had experienced in the past when it
suddenly made a noise like a strangled chicken, then quit making any noise. He
wanted to know if I knew why it did that.

just another two cents...

DJ Richards
Radiological Services, Inc.
New London, CT