RE: more on Cassini

A radworker student told me this morning that they had seen a posting in the
Environmental section on America On-Line asking that people there try to
stop the Cassini mission because it was carrying 7.2 tons of nuclear waste
and would be worse than Chernobyl if it blew up on launch. It also claimed
that there was a 1 in 10 failure rate for the launch vehicle.

How do we address this kind of stuff? It crops up faster than I can keep up
with. I think the most frustrating thing is how much of this stuff is
circulated without any effort at verification. If anything, it seems that
the more outlandish claims are the ones that are most circulated.

-Gary Damschen
damschenga@mkf.ornl.gov