Possible provenance of "low levels of radiation"

Well -- I was composing my rant about food irradiation exposing food to
"low levels of radiation" when RADSAFE Digest 1567 arrived with a raft
of other complaints about that piece of buffoonery.  I heard the same
expression on an NPR news story yesterday and read it in a Wall Street
Journal story (p. A3) on 27 August 1997.  The persistence of the phrase
suggests some common source of misinformation that is being picked up
by naive journalists.  The WSJ story says "there is an industry petition
before the Food and Drug Administration to approve the use of low-level
radiation to pasteurize beef", so perhaps the Journal reporter picked up
the language from the petition.  However, on the way to looking for
something else, I discovered another possible source of the phrase.

The American Council on Science and Health has on its Web page a white
paper on Irradiated Foods, first written in 1982 and now in its 4th
Edition (revised and updated in March 1996 by Richard A. Greenberg,
Ph.D.).  Table 1 of the white paper shows radiation doses ranging from
50 Grays (to inhibit sprouting in vegetables) up to 71000 Grays (to
sterilize various foods so that they can be stored at room temperature
without spoilage).  Appendix I says that a Gray is "the unit (or level)
of energy absorbed by a food during irradiation" and that 1000 Gray = 1
kiloGray.  Nowhere in the paper is there any indication that the human
LD50 for acute exposure to radiation is 4-6 Sv (which for gammas would
be equivalent to 4-6 Gy).  The paper four times uses the phrases "low-
dose irradiation" or "very-low-dose irradiation" to refer to doses of
50 Gray to 10000 Gray for the purposes of insect disinfestation, sprout
inhibition, delay of ripening, and eliminating Trichinella hazard in
pork.

The cover page of the white paper cites the contributions of 32
reviewers of the 4th edition, all of them with appropriate credentials,
and some of them quite prominent (I figure if I recognize
their name, they're quite prominent).

There is a lot of good information in the ACSH white paper; they give a
good summary of the positive case for food irradiation.  I am at a loss
to understand, however, how "low-dose" and "very-low-dose" survived the
review process, and I share the concerns of some of the other RADSAFE
subscribers about the public relations implications of these kinds of
games with words.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA

js_dukelow@pnl.gov

These thoughts are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my
management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.