re: Cloud Chamber Th contamination -Reply

I've given the consumer product demo to students using the std. fiesta
ware, mantles, smoke detectors, etc.  One part of the demo; I light the
mantle like a camper/boy scout would do.  Then I changed the mantle and
monitored my hands.  Plently of contamination.  As an aside, I wore
gloves changing the mantle.  I observed plenty of wide eyes after the
demo.

Sure the mantle can give rise to contamination.  I would excersize a good
deal of caution, especially if I'm in the environmental monitoring buisiness.
 Wouldn't want to srew up all my low level counting instruments.

Matt Williamson
Indian Point Unit 3