Re: Signs, Signs, Everywhere the Signs

Charles B. Mitchell requested information on getting the word out without
having to put up many signs that become so cluttered
that there are "Signs, Signs, Everywhere the Signs."

What we do, if there is a serious matter that needs attention, is to
have a personal conversation with those who really need to know about
the matter. Others not directly affected would be sent a memo.  Fortunatly
we do not have that large an audience. Then during our annual refresher training
the subject of concern is presented as part of the refresher training. The item
of concern also becomes part of the initial training after it was
identified as being a problem. That way we address the problem
immediately, remind people about it in the refresher and make sure
all new people get the word.
We have identified  some problems are cyclic and these just need to
be continually readdressed.
The key factor is feedback. You have to look at the practice
and see if people are remembering what they were told. And if, the
results of the review show that the item of concern is still
happening, then training needs to address the matter again..
People will ignore signs with time but when you have a face to face
discussion and follow through with compliance checks you are at least
trying to keep the problem under control.
A typical example at a University might be reminding people that
easting and drinking in a laboratory is not permitted. Universities
have had this tradition of gathering for "tea' at the end of the day
and the tendency might be to walk back to the lab with some food. You
can put up all the signs you want to remind them they are not to eat
in a lab  but they can still try to do it. So we tell them during the initial
training and the annual refresher and we
inspect for it with each lab visit. The problem seems to be under
control and we do not have signs to tell them eating and drinking is
not permitted.

BOB Milwicz
Princeton University

Tennessee Valley Authority