Food irradiation - what survival levels are aimed for?

I note the recent interest in food irradiation and wonder what levels
of survival (presumably of  noxious bacteria) are aimed for?   I know
that different bacteria have quite different radiation sensitivities
so it must be quite difficult to stipulate what doses will be
effective in general situations.  I am interested in the
underlying radiation biology to support recommendations regarding
foiod irradiation. Is there any scientific/technical documentation
which stipulates the required radiation dose in terms of the
effectiveness of sterilisation?
Dr Monty Charles, Reader in Radiation Physics
School of Physics & Space Research
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
Birmingham B15 2TT