Skull caps under respirators

I have been told that the ANSI (or similar) standard states that nothing
shall be worn underneath a respirator.  Thanks to the interpretation of
this, by people who will never wear a respirator occupationally, this has
been interpreted at some facilities to include skull caps under
respirators.  I KNOW that the important part of wearing a respirator is
keeping a seal, and interference with the seal is the point, BUT, some
people are much more interested in their own agendas than the real issues
of health physics.

Brian Rees
brees@lanl.gov