Re: Diet to counter acute radiation dose?

This is going back a bunch of years for me but...

I seem to remember that some research had been done on radioprotective
properties of cysteine, an amino acid that contains a sulfhydryl (-SH)
group, either as the free single amino acid or in proteins that contain a
lot of cysteine.  Evidently the -SH groups readily scavenge free radicals
and then cross-link to an -SS- formation.  I don't think it provided much
protection, but did suggest some.  I don't know if this is what you're
looking for, but it's a place to start.

>>> John E Riley, Jr <jerjr@holta.ho.lucent.com> 01/12 8:07 AM >>>
Has anyone heard of a dietary assist/cure to counter the effects of acute
radiation
doses, accidental or therapeutic?

jer