RE: Diet to counter acute radiation dose?

When I worked at AFRRI (Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute)
I remember some research into drugs that would be taken PRIOR to an
exposure.  The work was being conducted for the Defense Nuclear Agency
and the drug was to be used in times of nuclear warfare to protect troops in
high fallout areas.   They looked at all forms of free radical scavangers and the
drug that that came up with raised the LD50 to the range of 700 rem.  Don't
know the name of the compound or the ultimate fate of the work.  Just a
historical dump.  Maybe Les Slaback's memory has faired better than mine.

Bob

            _/ _/                _/ _/              _/_/_/_/            Robert M. Loesch
          _/     _/           _/     _/           _/                      US Department of Energy
        _/         _/     _/           _/       _/                      EH-52, GTN, 270CC
      _/          _/   _/               _/    _/_/_/_/            19901 Germantown Road
    _/         _/       _/           _/     _/                      Germantown, MD  20874-1290
  _/        _/           _/      _/       _/                      Tel: 301 903-4443;  Fax: -7773
_/ _/ _/                _/ _/          _/_/_/_/            loesch@spok.eh.doe.gov
              "The definition of a public health disaster is a catastrophe so large
                   that an epidemiologic study can detect it."    David Ozonoff