Re: Film Badges

ALARA policy allows one to consider economics in the "reasonableness"
part of the analysis.  When I do the analysis, I really struggle with
spending thousands of dollars for enough leaded glasses to outfit
everyone involved in angio, cath lab and EP cases to protect against a
risk that has been shown to be all but nonexistent at doses received by
such medical personnel.  Per BEIR V (p.363), "... the threshold for a
vision-impairing cataract under conditions of highly fractionated or
protracted exposure is thought to be no less than 8 Sv (ICRP 84).  This
dose exceeds the amount of radiation that can be accumulated by the
lens through occupational exposure to irradiation under normal working
conditions and greatly exceeds that which is likely to be accumulated
by a member of the general population through other types of exposure."
While I don't mean to criticize your decision to recommend leaded
glasses, I feel there should be a realistic risk before spending any
money on protection.  How have others approached this "ALARA dilemma"?