Field Detection of Pu

          RADSAFERs:

          Maybe some of you all could offer a suggestion.

          Rocky Flats will, in a few weeks, begin excavating a
          1950s-vintage trench in which drums of depleted uranium chips
          and turnings (mixed with cutting coolants)  were buried.

          As each intact drum (highly unlikely), or its carcass with
          contents (very likely), is excavated, we would like to know
          rather promptly whether we have any "surprises" such as Pu or
          highly-enriched uranium.  We know that large quantities of DU
          are buried there, but since the facility also worked with Pu
          and HEU, there is a small chance of these things being found
          also.

          Therefore, can anyone recommend a quick screen using field
          instruments that we might be able to perform on each backhoe
          bucket of stuff to indicate whether either of these fissile
          substances (pu or HEU) are present in significant quantities?

          We have a fairly broad range of portables including the SAIC
          AP-2.

          Thanks for your help.

          Bates Estabrooks
          bates.estabrooks@rfets.gov