Re: Field Detection of Pu

The absence of beta in the presence if significant alpha would certainly be
an indicator of potential HEU/Pu.  Unfortunately, I wouldn't want to open
the alpha source "dry" enough to make that assessment possible.  A fidler
probe (i.e., thin crystal for seeing low energy photons) with a
multichannel analyzer might be of use with practice.  Might want to borrow
a Fidler probe from someone to see what the "background" spectrum will
allow in the way of MDA's for the non-DU radionuclides.

Craig Reed
Legacy Waste